Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Bucket List Idea

Recently I was reflecting on my life and what I wanted to do in the next year. I started thinking of places I wanted to go, things I wanted to try, standards I wanted to strive for - and I thought, 'Hey, I should make another list!" Perhaps I should back up. Many years ago I was going through a bad break up. Cliche, I know. But as I was struggling to make myself happy again after all that had gone wrong in that last year, I made a list. A "Bucket List" of sorts. Just things I wanted to do. I did a few of them - then I misplaced it and forgot about it for some time. One day months later, I found it buried somewhere in my belongings. Opening it, I was astonished! I still wanted to do all those things and I hadn't touched any of them! So, I started again. While pursuing those little squiggles on the page I had some of the best times of my life. I tried scuba diving, I jumped out of a plane (with a parachute of course), I even moved to Hawaii and eventually went on a foreign exchange in Austria. Those little words, when put into action, helped me explore the world, expand my horizons, and rebuild my happiness and confidence with every check mark. I decided to write a new list!
Now, I'm a firm believer that one of life's greatest joys is to explore new places, ideas, activities, people...just the world! Everybody, in my opinion, would benefit from pursuing such a list. I couldn't be selfish and not invite my friends and family! Better yet, INVOLVE my friends and family! So here's the idea:
I've started a website where everybody can make a list. The lists can include everything - big, small, inane. It doesn't have to be just activities. It can be anything from thoughts, feelings, attitudes, general ideas, whatever! They can be done individually or as groups. For example, my list includes everything from drinking more water and keeping the house a bit more clean to taking a photography class to cooking at least three meals from scratch each week. Some I'll do by myself (read at least two books a month), some I'll invite others to (salsa lessons, anybody?) and some I'll just join others on (Teresa wants to take a rock climbing class). We each post our lists (if we so desire but it's not a prerequisite) and try to knock off one a week or so. If we're busy and miss a week - oh, well. If we're trying to do something bigger that takes longer (learn a new language, master a recipe, whatever) then take longer! If you're going to be doing something that others may want to join, let everybody know! Put it out there - "Hey, we're going to kayak such-and-such a place in wherever, USA on the 15th! Who wants to join?" Just start going after the things in life that you think will make you happy!
The whole point of the site is for idea sharing, support, and networking. The more people that join, the more interesting ideas we'll have and the more adventures we'll all enjoy. It's still a bit of a work in progress, seeing as how I just set it up a few minutes ago, but I'll be expanding it as we go. I just want people to have fun and discover new things! 

As for me, I'm going to follow the same guidelines. I've started my own list and I'll be adding to it continually. As I work my way through my list, I'm going to write my reflections in here. I know from past experience that it's not always going to be easy and it won't always turn out like I think it will - but it will be well worth it all in the end! I hope you all will enjoy my adventures as much as I do! In the meantime, start thinking about what it is YOU want to do in your life...

and check out the website at http://thebucketlistclub.ning.com 

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment